The first frame building of Evangelical Immanuel Church used for worship was built on land purchased from the Mr. Ferguson for $350. 00. The first pastor, Rev. Carl Struckmeyer, was installed on Dedication Sunday, June 3, 1888. Nineteen charter members signed the constitution. Descendants of many of those charter members still occupy the pews of Immanuel today.
Immanuel has always been known as the “Rooster Church.” A weather vane Rooster stood atop the early frame Church. Today it is located in the newly refurbished archive room below the sanctuary.
The church bell that is still rung on Sunday mornings was delivered to the church in a hay wagon by Louis Behle. He rescued it from the Steamboat “St. Louis,” which had been destroyed by fire.
The Lady’s Aid Society, which is now called the Immanuel Fellowship, began in 1910.
Early services were held in German. That changed during WWI.
The first parsonage was destroyed by fire in February 1929. A new one was built and dedicated on October 13, 1929.
The new church was built in 1929 as well and cost $60,000. This replaced the Old Rooster church. It was dedicated on March 16, 1930. A Reuters Pipe Organ costing $40,000 was given by the Henry J. Bangert family.
The Men’s Brotherhood was founded in 1933. Today it is called Brothers in Christ. Their main responsibility is the annual Wurstmarkt.
The Board of Christian Education was organized in 1933.
The first volunteer choir was formed in 1902, the first orchestra was formed in 1949, and the hand bell choir began in 1974.
The Education Building was dedicated in 1955.
Evangelical Immanuel Church became Immanuel United Church of Christ in 1962 following the merger between the Evangelical and Reformed Church and the Congregational Christian churches in 1957.
Eleven sons and daughters of Immanuel have gone into ordained ministry.